I spent the summer of 2014 rewriting my French 8 curriculum. You can read more about my motivation, process, and outcomes in this article I wrote for ACTFL's The Language Educator.
I created 5 thematic units, based on the topics covered in Discovering French Bleu (Valette). You can read all about each one by choosing from the "Thematic Units" pulldown menu above. Our school runs on 4 terms, so I divided the units thus:
La Vie en ville
Les Vêtements et le shopping
Les Loisirs et la qualité de la vie
La Nourriture et la faim
Each unit includes the following:
• Thematic unit planner (I use Helena Curtain's, which is like ACTFL's but a bit cleaner)
• Student Can-Dos, set up as a chart with space for self-evaluation and suggestions for guided practice
• Interpretive reading and listening activities for use with selected authentic materials
• Interpersonal speaking activities using the TALK rubric
• Presentational writing and speaking activities with rubrics
• Daily lesson plans
This is very much a work in progress and I welcome your feedback so that I can continue to examine and improve my practice.
Who's that dame?
Middle school French teacher obsessed with building students' proficiency via thematic units & authentic materials.